Sunday, September 27, 2009

Top Chef

So fall TV season has arrived and I haven't even been all that excited except for one random show Jamie and I stumbled upon a couple of weeks ago on demnad. Top Chef. I can't help it. I LOVE food. I love the way it tastes, the way it looks, how it makes me feel nostalgic for different events in my life. The smell of chocolate chip cookies is a Townsend family memory I have. The smell of empanadas or milanesas in the oven reminds me of being little and so excited for dinner because we were FINALLY eating something I liked to eat. Any barbeque, specially charcoal, reminds me of the asados my family put on when I was little. I associate asados with two things, summer and Christmas. Those two don't go together in this climate, but in Argie, it's summer when Santa Comes and leaves candy in your newly polished worn out shoes.

So, Top Chef has got me excited to cook again. I was talking with my mother-in-law last night and she was telling me about how much she loves aprons. I don't think I've ever worn an Apron, at least not in the last 10 years (at least not to cook. Jamie makes me wear it when I cut his hair). Anyway, she said she remembered years ago, wearing an Apron when a boy from church came to pick up fast offerings and that boy went home to tell his mom, "mom, Sister Townsend must be a good cook because she was wearing and Apron and her house smelled like fresh bread!" I love that. At least I know I can fool everyone out there with an Apron and Scenty wax.

Jamie and I have had the same one and only Apron for the last 8 years. I think I washed it once-maybe. I picked it up for his last hair cut and realized the Apron was very stiff. It no longer bends and is very rock solid...is that dangerous? So I'm going to look for an Apron and start wearing it more often. I think it will help me get even more excited about cooking. After watching Top Chef, I may want the whole ensamble! That show is amazing. How can people whip up such amazing food in such little time? My favorite are the quick fires where they have 45 minutes to put something together with a mystery ingredient-last time it was Cactus. WOW, I want to eat cactus so badly now. The presentations just look spectacular. You can almost smell the dishes with their fancy names and unbelievable presentations! So, if anyone has a fancy recipe to share, I would love it! Jamie and I have set a goal for our law firm and once we hit it, we are not going out to eat, but rather we will stay home and make something together. I'm thinking it will include one of those $30 lobster tails from Costco or something with a saffron sauce, which I don't even know what it is, but doesn't it sound delicious?

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Andres LOVES---- that show too and we really like to watch it together. Do get an apron.. it totally does make you feel like a better cook. Ha ha ha!
I love wearing aprons, it makes me feel so vintage and cook-worthy! =)

Jamie said...

Top Chef is the best! It makes me want to go to culinary school, oh wait, I already have enough student loans. And thank you for not mentioning that I often wear the apron.

Hugh Family said...

the food network channel has recently become my favorite! It is so amazing how you have no clue what cactus taste like, but you can literally taste the flavors in your mouth when your watching them cook. ward clerk! I really need to stop complaining about my calling in the nursery. Jamie seems like he would be very patient in that calling. He really is an awesome guy!

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I watched it for the first time last night. I really liked it. I also love chopped and I can't wait for the next Iron chef. I think I would wear an apron if I had one.

Haskins said...

I miss our dinners and breakfast we had at your house in good ole Moscow!! You and Jamie are such a amazing cooks! If you guys are ever in Utah we need to have you guys over!! I miss you guys!