Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fall Break and Swine Flu?

So Fall break started on a Thursday. The kids got home from school, just in time to have Nico come down with a fever. But I should back up to Monday night of that week where we went to a function where my kids where exposed to the flu. By tuesday I knew Izzy wasn't feeling well, so the next day I took her in to the Doctor. She wasn't feverish or throwing up, but she was just laying around like you see below. If any of you have a one year old, you know that's not normal. By the time I took her in on Wednesday, she had developed a fever of 101 (not too bad), but got progressively worse by the end of Wednesday. She ended the week with not eating, throwing up, fever and laying around all the time and wanting to be held (is that so bad?). By Thursday night Nico had it and held on to it. By Sunday night Christian had it. It took us a whole week to get better. Good thing fall break is two weeks. So by the second week we started to feel better and so I promised them to cook some of the food from their kids cookbook Nico had purchased at the book fair. (He loves it when I call him My Little Chef. This came from Hallie, Summer and Jaxon who called him this once he made his favorite soup for them-top roman). So, we started with these cookie caterpillars-totally gross. I wouldn't even eat it. They were fun to make though. Then moved on to Pizza pinwheels-big hit! We also did Octopus something, the pic is below. That is pretty much what kept us entertained for two weeks since we were all sick and by the second week Christian had developed a secondary infection in his ear, so we tried the pool after he was better, but not a good idea when you're recoverying from an ear infection. Great break!

So, we had one doctor just say that Izzy had the flu, while the ER doctor said she had the Swine flu. Funny thing is that if you test possitive for Influenza A, doctors where automatically saying it was the H1N1 virus. She didn't even get the test for Influenza because the doctor said she had all the symptoms of the flu and had already been screaming the entire time. Poor doctor probably didn't want to hear any more after swabbing her to check for influenza A. It turns out that only a handful of labs in the US test for the H1N1 and it costs about $300 for the test. So, most doctors are not testing for it. The influenza A can be tested in the doctors office very easily. It only takes a few minutes. So, I would like to think we received a free vaccination of the H1N1 that week since Jamie and I also got sick-no fevers for us though. We may get the flu again this year (hope we don't), but I must say the media sure is hyped up about this. We did give Izzy Tamiflu right away, and she was still pretty sick. Out of the five of us, she got it the worst. Phew! That was long winded.











don't they look cute in the photo? My boys where bummed because their cookies didn't look as good as the picture. It really was much tougher than it looked!

1 comment:

Elisa said...

You are such a cute Mom! I never do stuff like that.. I think I am a B#*&%!